Thursday, June 1, 2017

Facing Fears

by Carolyn Miller

I like to think I’m braver than I am, that I’d be the person who saves a life by standing up to someone, or puts my life in danger in some dramatic rescue. Truth is, I’m not terribly brave. I prefer my cave to lots of people, I shriek when I see mice and snakes – and don’t get me started on rats! (Funny thing though, this little Aussie is perfectly okay with spiders)

The past few months have provided lots of opportunities for me to face my fears as I embark on published author life. From having to ask complete strangers for help in promoting my work, to asking authors I look up (but have never met) to read and then provide endorsement (hello, Angela! 😊), to being presented with opportunities to speak at conferences with far more knowledgeable people than I, sometimes it seems like I’m forced to face my fears every day.

Aren’t we all?

I think sometimes we believe that God is supposed to protect us from trouble, that the Christian life should be stress-free. I know people who have walked away from faith because they couldn’t understand why a good God would allow such hardship in their life. But God doesn’t promise stress-free. The Bible says many times that trouble comes but God is with us. That though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death we need not fear, because God is with us (Psalm 23.4). That God is our refuge and strength, our ever-present help in times of trouble (Psalm 46.1). These verses are easy to agree when life is cruisy, but how much harder when things seem overwhelming. (Can I hear an Amen?)

There have been times this past year when I’ve been literally trembling as I face my fears, even if it’s only about sending (or reading) a particular email. I remember saying to my mother-in-law how the challenges felt a bit like labouring in childbirth, where each band of pressure and contraction was leading to enlarged capacity, and the promise of new things. I might understand that intellectually, but I still had to walk through it. And in each of those moments, I found myself taking a deep breath and calling to mind God’s promises. My trust is in Him, that He will continue to order my steps and lead me where He wants.

The Captivating Lady Charlotte

I need to remember this as my second inspirational Regency releases soon. I know there might be some who don’t ‘get’ parts of it, but that’s okay. I don’t want to let my fears shape me by writing less than what I feel God says is okay, just to make some people happy. I want to be braver, write stronger, knowing God is with me, strengthening me for all that lies ahead. For this to happen I need to continue to face my fears.


Don’t we all?

Carolyn Miller lives in the beautiful Southern Highlands of New South Wales, Australia, with her husband and four children. A longtime lover of romance, especially that of the Regency era, Carolyn holds a BA in English Literature, and loves drawing readers into fictional worlds that show the truth of God’s grace in our lives. She is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray of the Steve Laube Agency. Her Regency novel 'The Elusive Miss Ellison' released in the US in February 2017, and is available at Amazon.com, CBD, Barnes & Noble and Book Depository, and her second novel ‘The Captivating Lady Charlotte’ releases June 27 and  is available for preorder now.


Connect with her:  https://www.carolynmillerauthor.com/                              
https://www.facebook.com/CarolynMillerAuthor/
https://twitter.com/CarolynMAuthor
http://www.pinterest.com/camillering
Amazon
Google+

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Carolyn and thank you for sharing your vulnerability with us.

    I've now come to realise after many years of hiding in my cave that when I first feel those pangs of fear that the Lord wants me to turn to Him. And that those pangs in fact are a sign that I'm doing the right thing because it's leading me to depend on Him.

    I expect Abram was terrified when the Lord prompted him to leave home with no map, no clue as to where he was to take his family. Imagine what Sarai must have said - "you want us to leave home but you don't know where we're going?"

    Carolyn, I think the Lord has you right where He wants you. In His hands. I just read this wonderful verse in Proverbs: "My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways." (23:26).

    All of us down under are so proud of you and the great steps you've taken this year and we're very excited to watch as Book 2 launches soon.

    Grace and peace ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Ian. I so appreciate your encouragement and support. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Carolyn. Thanks so much for sharing. I think no matter where we are in this writing journey--or in life for that matter--we have step forward, trusting him, and facing those fears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. How good to remember our God remains faithful through every season. God bless you!

      Delete